Saturday, June 19, 2010

Bacchus' Night in Vaison la Romaine

Wine God and Goddess

Don't they just look the part? Last night the young wine growers of the Côte du Rhône region in Provence dressed in Roman style when they invited for "The Night of Bacchus" (the God of wine). This annual event took part right in the middle of Vaison la Romaine's famous Roman excavations - a magical setting on a balmy summer evening (luckily they held it last night as today the dreaded Mistral wind would have blown the canopies away...).


Wine Tasting in an Ancient Roman Setting

Not only was it fun to see all those gorgeous young wine gods but also to taste their wines, find new vintages, meet friends and just enjoy an early summer evening. I'll be back next year!


More Wine Gods

4 comments:

  1. How I would have loved to have been there. I remember so well walking through this area. I am totally taken in by the history of it all. Oh yes, the Mistral. We had a touch of it when we stayed in Carianne. I can only imagine what it is really like. Hold on to your hats!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We keep changing the weeks we come to our home in Sablet so that before too long we will have been in the area every month of year. Until then, we keep track of festivals and special events that occur so we can make sure we attend when we are there. This is definitely one I want to attend in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. to quote Liz Lemmon, "I want to go to there".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, I want to attend this event!

    ReplyDelete