Saturday, May 17, 2014

You call them eggplants, I call them aubergines...


I very rarely buy aubergines or eggplants as they are called in the US. I don't really like them, their texture, the way they soak up enormous amounts of oil - I don't even use them when preparing Ratatouille - the mother of all Provençal dishes - and my version tastes just fine without them.
But Istanbul Cooking School where I recently took part in a cooking class sort of converted me. Or, closer to the point, I got totally seduced by this recipe our charming host Oguz taught us. It is called Közde Patlican and is served as one of the wonderful mezze Turkish cuisine excels in. Another plus - it is practically child's play to prepare as long as you have a gas stove or a BBQ.
Just take two or three aubergines and roast them, turning them every so often, until they are really soft and nicely charred on the outside.

 Roast eggplant on a gas fire or BBQ
 
 until nicely soft and lightly charred

 cut open and scoop out the flesh

drizzle with lemon juice so the flesh doesn't turn dark

Then you just chop the flesh with a sharp knife, mix it with one or two very finely minced garlic cloves and a real good dash of olive oil et voilà the Turkish version of what we in Provence call "Caviar d'aubergines"  - the poor man's caviar. Serve with crunchy baguette and a cool glass of Rosé.


Credit for this lovely dish goes to Oguz of Istanbul Cooking School

8 comments:

  1. Fantastic dip. I've had it in Lebanese restaurant, and have loved it with pita, or hard crusted bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same about eggplant/aubergines as you. They always gave me indigestion since they soaked up so much oil. However, I do like ajvar, which is a mixture of red bell peppers and eggplant which makes a delicious spread and a dollop in fish stew is a flavor booster. Your recipe sounds delicious. I will have to give it a try.

    Madonna
    MakeMineLemon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like ajvar, too - I first had it in Croatia.

      Delete
  3. I rathet like aubergines+ I do not use so much oil but rather a lot of greek yoghurt on top while baking them in the oven.soon I willtry out this new dish+ hope it works with my simple electric oven as well.might take a little longer ..greetings from Berlin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works real well in an oven, too - but it will lack the smoky flavor the open flame adds.

      Delete
  4. This really is one of the most delicious ways to enjoy aubergine - it is also delicious at Hunkar begendi bechamel sauce with smoked eggplant puree. Hope you had a lovely time in Istanbul - I am sure : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Özlem, we did have a great time in Istanbul. But it is getting more and more popular - huge queues everywhere....and like last time, we had not really nice weather and we got stuck in a anti Erdogan demonstration. Thankfully, no tear gas... But I still like Istanbul!

      Delete